It's the same application in terms of features and functionality. Here are the differences between buying Fade In Professional Screenwriting Software for Mac directly from http://www.fadeinpro.com and buying it from the App Store:
- If you buy it from the App Store, you receive the benefit of easy integrated updating. Updating with the non-App Store version is still easy, but it isn't quite as automatic.
- However, the App Store version will likely be updated less often. This is because, during times of heavy development, new builds of Fade In have often been released two or three times a week. Since Apple's application approval process can take up to several weeks, the latest will be submitted to the App Store once it has been out long enough. Then, once the approval process is complete, it will be available on the App Store. (And if the decision has to be made to replace a build waiting for approval with an updated build, it will move it to the end of the queue and reset the waiting time.)
- If you purchase from the App Store, you will get the full version of Fade In Professional Screenwriting Software for Mac only, linked to your Apple ID. If you purchase directly from the website, you will receive a registration key for the full version enabling you to use it on Mac, Windows, and Linux. Apple does not currently provide a way to transfer App Store purchases to non-App Store purchases and vice-versa.
- Please note that there are some minor functional differences between the App Store and non-App Store versions due to Apple's sandboxing restrictions for App Store programs. Any such differences should not currently affect the overall capabilities of the application, but may occasionally require additional steps to manually select a file or folder, etc.
- The price on the App Store may also vary from non-App Store price on the website due to Apple's pricing structure.
Tags: app store, buying, mac, mac, os x